This morning I had planned to take Dillon with me to the commissary to grocery shop. He had other plans.
We ate breakfast, he had a toasted bagel with butter and I had a toasted bagel with cream cheese. He didn't want to eat all of it, which usually he eats about three quarters of the bagel, but he didn't even eat half this morning. After he ate breakfast he layed around, yawning a lot and watching cartoons. I was debating whether taking a sleepy boy grocery shopping would be a good idea or not. I didn't want to end up dealing with a meltdown in the middle of the store.
I was sitting down to write my grocery list and all of a sudden Dillon started throwing up. My poor baby, he got sick twice on the couch and two more times on the blanket while sitting on the floor. Once he stopped, I cleaned off the couch before it dried into the microfiber and then stripped him down and put him into a luke warm bath.
Afterwards we came downstairs and I put just a diaper on him and had him wrapped in his hooded towel with the same throw blanket draped in front of him incase he had to throw up some more. He was very pale, his lips were so white. He felt warm and had layed down on my legs and was very tired. I wanted to lay him on pillow at least so I could get up and get my blackberry and call the clinic to see if I could have him seen today.
Bad idea. After I gave him some motrin he threw up several more times. It was thick, sticky vomit...almost like it had a lot of phlem in it or something. I decided to take him to the hospital because the clinic didn't have anything open until tomorrow (of course) and the only way he would be seen was at the emergency room, although I did not feel it was an emergency...it was my only option.
So I packed his mini back pack and loaded him into the car with a towel draped over him incase he got sick more while I was driving, thankfully he didn't. We got there and I had to valet park because there was no parking and being almost 20 weeks pregnant in this heat and carrying a sickly 3 year old...I was not parking further than the area by the door. It was only $5 though, not too bad. I've never valet parked before but that doesn't seem like a lot to me.
Of course the emergency room was packed. We signed in and waited an hour before we were called to triage. Which Dillon ran toward the door because he didn't want to get on the scale and someone pushed the button on the door and it squished his toe. When it rains, it pours. Poor guy was bawling his eyes out, his toe was swollen but it went down eventually and it fine. Just a little squish, no major damage.
He only weighed just over 33 pounds, which means he's lost a pound and a half in the past week or so, roughly. They took his temperature and it was 100.8, which I knew wasn't high. But I had wanted him to get something since he didn't keep down the motrin I gave him at home. They gave him a Tylenol suppository and also a tablet of Zofran that dissolved in his mouth, for the vomiting. She said if we were still there in an hour to have them re-check his temperature and then we went off to the waiting room.
An hour passes, Dillon has been drinking his juice finally and talking...carrying on like his normal self for the most part. Just very exhausted. My hips and back were hurting from sitting for two hours with Boog on my lap and I was starting to shake because I was so hungry. I went and had his temperature re-checked and it was down to 100.3 and they gave him a popsicle. I told them we were going to leave and if he got worse we would definitely come back.
We get home, I put him down for a nap and he's out within minutes. I wanted to lay down too but needed to get some gatorades for Mr as well as Dillon and I and I also wanted to get some water for myself and some Pedialyte for sickies boy. Then I stopped and got Mr a sub from Subway for dinner since nothing would have been defrosted in time and I didn't get to grocery shop today. I made it a very quick trip incase Dillon woke up while I was gone and got sick again (Mr was asleep too but he's a heavy sleeper so he wouldn't have heard Dillon getting sick). I got home, put everything away and managed to get an hour and half nap.
Dillon woke up and felt pretty warm. He layed around on the couch and I gave him some Motrin. He felt like he was burning up even more so I checked his temperature and it was 102.8. I started getting upset because Mr was already gone for work and I didn't know what I should do and he had already taken Motrin a half hour prior so he couldn't have more and we had no Tylenol. I checked his temperature again about 20 minutes after the first time and it went down to 102.6 so I calmed down a little after seeing it was going down little by little.
My neighbor brought over some Tylenol for me to borrow a dose of since I had no car to get to the store and all we had was Motrin. I wanted to give him the Tylenol before bed since he can't have another dose of Motrin until an hour and half after he goes to bed. I figured I'd try to give him some apple sauce since he hadn't eaten since breakfast, which he threw up all of it.
He ate a small bowl with no problem. I didn't want to give him anything dry or any dairy because those are not fun things to have come back up. He wanted strawberries but we didn't have anymore so I gave him some peaches and he ate almost the entire mini can of them. Then he had a popsicle and 4 handfuls (my hand full and on a plate, one serving at a time) of goldfish crackers. That's what he had asked for. He was also drinking the gatorade/Pedialyte mix I put in his sippy cup after he woke from his nap.
He started feeling better I guess because he was enjoying the movies we watched, Toy Story and Alvin and the Chipmunks. I gave him a luke warm bath and he played for a bit in the water, then we came downstairs and I dressed him and put on one last movie, Ratatouille. While he was eating his last plate of goldfish, I gave him the Tylenol and after the movie ended I brushed his teeth and he went up to bed on some nice clean, germ free bedding.
He's already out, thankfully. He started to feel a little warm when I put him in bed, but I hope that Tylenol kicks in soon. I am going to give him another dose of Motrin before I go to bed, hopefully he doesn't wake all the way up, but just enough to swallow the medicine.
Needless to say, it's been a very long day and despite getting a nap....I am exhausted. I wanted to blog about our day though, it always makes me feel better to get everything out after something happens. I'm just hoping he wakes up feeling like himself in the morning with no more fevers and definitely no throwing up. He hadn't gotten sick since about 9:30 am. I can handle fever, but when he's vomiting as well it's frustrating because the medicine doesn't stay down long enough to work! I'm just glad he was feeling a little better this evening, even if only for a little while. He got to enjoy some movies, a bath and put some food in his belly.
No comments:
Post a Comment